The church of St. Margaret is a small but exquisitely beautiful building, situated
on the bank of the river Wye. It occupies the site of the former edifice, and was
erected in 1858 from the designs of Mr. Thomas H. Rushforth, of Regent street, London,
at a cost of £2,680, the whole of which was defrayed by the late rector and Stephen
Allaway, Esq. It consists of nave (in the Norman style), chancel with vestry attached,
south aisle, western porch, and tower (in the Early English style). The interior
is adorned with beautiful stained glass by Clayton & Bell, of London, while the pulpit,
reading desk, font, &c., are splendid specimens of carving in Caen stone, inlaid
Building history: Allaway hired the architect TH Rushforth of London, and furnished
him with the funds, of £2,680 to create a quite remarkable building, bursting with
detail. Allaway may well have been the Managing Partner, Lydbrook Tin Works.. It
consists of nave (in the Norman style), chancel with vestry attached, south aisle,
western porch, and tower (in the Early English style).
TH Rushforth also designed St Denis’s Chapel at Harewood Park a few years later in1864
Some artefacts from the previous church on the site, which was mentioned in the Book of Llandaff and in Charters of 1069 and 1160, were relocated in the church, such as the effigy of a Lady, while other monuments and fittings were removed, for example the Vaughan memorials which were moved to the chapel of St Mary at Courtfield. The church is basically unchanged since construction.
Ground plan: 3-
Dimensions: Nave and aisle 12m (37ft) wide, the nave 11m (34ft) long; chancel 7m (21.5ft) x 3.50m (11ft).
Building materials: The walls are built of local sandstone ashlar, with the exception
of the rubble base of the tower, which like the churchyard cross may be medieval
material. The dressings are of Bathstone, with polished Welsh slate shafts. Timber
roof covered in machine-
Ref: Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-