The Dilke Hospital Cinderford


In 1923 a hospital built in memory of Sir Charles Dilke, a former M.P. for the Forest, opened on the road between Cinderford and Speech House.  Paid for by grants and voluntary contributions, many of them miners, it was a single-storeyed building with 16 beds and its running costs were met by subscriptions.  The subscribers received free treatment.  A three storeyed block was added in 1926 and a maternity ward in 1940.  The Dilke Memorial Hospital became part of the National Health Service in 1948 and a geriatric wing was opened in 1968.  The maternity ward was closed in 1988.  In 1993 the hospital was run by the Gloucester district health authority


SECTION FROM A HISTORY OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE – PAGE 380